3554 Bilirubin, Total

Components
NAME METHOD REFERENCE RANGE UNITS
Bilirubin Total < 2 years: Call Client Services
< 19 years: 0.3 - 1.2
>= 19 years: < 1.4 
mg/dL 


Specimen Requirements
TYPE VOLUME TEMPERATURE INSTRUCTIONS
PRIMARY
1 Serum Foil Wrapped 1 (0.4) mL   Ambient - 5 Day(s), Refrigerated - 7 Day(s), Frozen - 2 Month(s) See COLLECTION INSTRUCTIONS. 
ALTERNATE
  Plasma Heparin Foil Wrap 1 (0.4) mL   Ambient - 5 Day(s), Refrigerated - 7 Day(s), Frozen - 2 Month(s)  


Clinical utility
Bilirubin is produced by the catabolism of the heme molecule from red blood cells. Approximately 85% of bilirubin is produced from senescent RBCs that are destroyed in the liver, spleen, and bone marrow. The remaining 15% is produced from RBC precursors destroyed in the bone marrow and from the catabolism of other heme containing proteins such as myoglobin, cytochromes, and peroxidases. Bilirubin is transported to the liver bound to albumin. Once inside liver cells it is tightly bound to liver proteins called ligandin and Z protein. Inside the hepatocytes, bilirubin is rapidly conjugated with glucuronic acid to produce bilirubin monoglucuronide (10%) and diglucuronide (90%), which are then excreted into bile. Depending on the disorder, unconjugated bilirubin, conjugated bilirubin, or both are major contributors to hyperbilirubinemia.


Collection Instruction
1 mL serum separated within 1 hr of collection; submit in amber
plastic vial to protect from light. Ship ambient, refrigerated or
frozen. Avoid hemolysis.


Reported: Same day

CPT Code: 82247

Notes: CPT code: 82247 Bilirubin Total